Need-based Financial Aid
We recognize that the full cost of an independent school education may be a challenging choice for the families of many outstanding students. In addition to need-based aid provided by the school, donors and corporations provide tuition assistance to deserving students who otherwise would be unable to benefit from a NOA education. Financial aid decisions are made independently of admission decisions and do not affect a candidate’s admission decision.
Northampton Academy follows the guiding principles established by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) that the responsibility of financing a private education rests primarily with the student’s family. Approximately one-third of our families receive financial assistance.
The Need-based Financial Aid Process
- Complete the on-line SSS Parent Financial Statement by February 1
- To apply for financial assistance, parents must submit the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) through the School and Student Services for Financial Aid (SSS). In the case of divorced or separated parents, both parents must submit an individual SSS PFS.
- Complete the PFS form online at: http://sss.nais.org
Beginning November 1, parents may access the online PFS form for the following school year. The NOA finanical aid deadline for all financial aid application materials, including the SSS PFS, is February 2 to be considered for the first round of aid awards. Late applications will be accepted only if funds are available and awards may be limited. Late financial aid applications may also be placed in the finanical aid wait pool until all awards have been made to those applicants who have submitted all required financial aid documents by the February 2 deadline.
- Submit Federal Tax Form 1040, IRS Form 4506T (signed, not dated) and all supporting schedules and W-2 forms
Send a signed photocopy of your previous year’s Federal Tax Form 1040 and all schedules by February 1 directly to the Office of Admission. Do not submit tax documents to the SSS Portal. If the most recent tax year documents are not availalbe, the school will accept tax forms for the previous year and any awards made will be contingent upon receipt of the immediate previous year’s tax forms.
- Review by Financial Aid Committee
Upon review by the financial aid committee, awards are made based on a family’s demonstrated financial need.
- Need-based aid awards are for tuition only and do not cover the cost of books, supplies, transportation, lunches, school trips, including the ECSProgram, or personal expenses.
- For continued eligibility, students awarded financial aid must remain in good academic and disciplinary standing, and all remaining tuition and fees must be paid as billed.
- All returning financial aid applicants must submit a re-enrollment contract and deposit in order to be considered for financial aid.
- All family financial data and subsequent proceedings with the school are strictly confidential.
- Families are required to keep all award information confidential.
- Families must apply for need-based aid annually by the deadlines stated by the School. Late applications may result in decreased awards.